Week 2 Term 2 - 2021
CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK 2021
What a week it has been, one of our best celebrations of Catholic Schools Week and acknowledgement of 200 years of Catholic Education.
We started the week with a Liturgy to open the celebrations.
- On Monday Kinder created their plant memento gifts for the Woodburn community and prepared cards for the Josephite Sisters- founders of our school (Acts of Kindness)
- On Tuesday Year 3 did role-plays for the students highlighting the important values of kindness, peacemaking and being humble. Year 4 wrote thank you letters to the Josephite Sisters ( Acts of thanks and love).
- On Wednesday we got to attend our first whole school Mass in over a year to celebrate Catholic Schools Week. Following this Stage 3 presented the memento plant gifts to the shops and businesses in Woodburn for their support of our school and then did a clean up of Woodburn park(Acts of thanks and service).
- On Thursday Stage 1 presented a video of 'What I love about my school' (Thanks Mr Sandral). Then with some of our parents, we excitedly participated in the 'How well do you know St Joseph's?' Scavenger hunt (Thanks to Miss Taylor) in BFF groups. Finishing up with some of the parents staying for lunch with their children.
- Today and throughout the week in the light of us celebrating 200 years of Catholic Education we have been reflecting with gratitude on our founders, the Josephite Sisters, and our past and present students, families and staff who have all played a part in making St Joseph's an amazing Catholic School
As we continue on from this week we will always remember the past, celebrate the present and go forward into the future with great faith and hope!
THE COMMUNITY FAIR AND FIREWORKS IS BACK ON! FRIDAY 14 MAY 2021
We are so excited that the St Joseph's Community Fair and Fireworks is back and will now be held on Friday 14 May 2021.
Last week paper copies of the flyer about the Fair, the raffle prizes and a new volunteer sheet for the changed date were sent home. As noted on the volunteer sheet please text Tracey on the number provided if you are able to assist. WE CANNOT DO THIS WITHOUT PARENT SUPPORT. WE NEED YOUR HELP TO MAKE THIS EVENT A SUCCESS. Thank you to those parents who put their name down for the previous date, however, we need you to register again with Tracey for the new date if you are able to assist.
The proceeds of the Fair this year will go towards updating the furniture for the Stage 2 classroom. We are working to get contemporary furniture throughout the school to offer students different ways to do their learning.
MOTHER'S DAY WEEK 3 (SUNDAY MAY 9)
We are also organising a Mothers Day Breakfast for Thursday 6 May, followed by a Liturgy in the Library. The breakfast will be 7 am- 8.45 am.
A google form was sent home yesterday via compass. This will assist us with catering for the breakfast and to organise a roster for the dads to help with the cooking and the serving. Please complete the google form by Tuesday 4 May 2021
The year seems to be flying away from us and it is time already to begin kindergarten enrolments for 2022.
We will be holding our Kindy Information Night on Tuesday 25 May. If you have children ready to begin school next year, or if you know of anyone who may be interested in enrolling in Kindergarten (or any other year) in 2022, the Information Evening will be held on Tuesday 25 May at 6 pm.
PUPIL FREE DAY WEDNESDAY 5 MAY 2021
A reminder that next Wednesday 5 May is a pupil free day.
Staff across the whole of the Lismore Diocese will participate in a Staff Proclaim Day. Our staff will combine with St Joseph's Coraki and St Joseph's Alstonville at Alstonville for the day. We appreciate your support of this important day of staff development.
CURRENT COVID GUIDELINES
- Students and staff with even mild symptoms of COVID 19 are not to attend school. Parents of symptomatic children should provide evidence of a negative result prior to returning to school. In circumstances where children have other medical reasons for recurrent symptoms, a letter from the GP is sufficient to negate the requirement for a negative test.
- We will continue our regular COVID safe practices of student's hand sanitising on entry to the classrooms and after mealtimes and during the day.
WEEK 2 HIGHLIGHTS THAT WE ARE TRULY GRATEFUL FOR
- Catholic Schools Week
- 200 Years of Catholic Education
- Our first whole school Mass in over a year, thanks, Fr Jim.
- Our past and present students, families and staff
- The Josephite Sisters.
- The 'How well do you know St Joseph's, Scavenger Hunt.
- Our Community Fair and Fireworks is back on!
- Jed and Reily for representing our Richmond Zone at the Diocesan Level Rugby Trials.
Have a wonderful weekend!
SUNDAY MASS - GOSPEL REFLECTION
Jesus teaches that he is the vine and that his disciples are the branches.
Catholic Schools Week 2021
Faith in the Future
In 2021 Catholic education celebrates the 200th anniversary in Australia. Today there are 1751 Catholic Schools educating 768,00o students. Australian Catholic Schools have a long and proud tradition of delivering high quality, faith-based education. At St Joseph's we are proud of our history and the contribution past priests and Sisters of St Joseph have made to our community.
Our students have celebrated Catholic Schools Week in a variety of purposeful faith-sharing activities. They are living disciples of Jesus by sharing Jesus gospel values, by their words and actions at school and in the community.
Kindergarten potted plants to give to the local shopkeepers and have prepared cards for the Josephite Sisters at North Sydney and Penola.
Stage One prepared a video called "What I Love About My School," that included student interviews and drone technology to enable aerial photography.
Year Three prepared role-plays featuring the Gospel Values of being kind, humble and being peacemakers. Year Four have also written letters to the Josephite Sisters at North Sydney and Penola. Our tudents also wrote letters to the elderly in the community
Our Stage 3 students visited the Woodburn businesses and delivered the potted plants that Kindergarten prepared. They also cleaned up the Woodburn Park and received praise for their mighty efforts by on-lookers. Stage Three have viewed Making Jesus Real Podcasts and are preparing Google Slides for a presentation at their class assembly.
All these acts of kindness and thoughtful actions demonstrate great respect for others and the importance of connecting with the community. At our Catholic Schools Week Mass on Wednesday, it is important to share, that Father Jim reminded all present of the importance of reflecting the love of Jesus in all we do and say.
Letter writing to the Josephite Sisters:
Dear Sisters of St Joseph
I can’t thank you enough for starting our school St Joseph’s Primary School Woodburn and so many others. I’ve learnt so much about loving and having faith in God. I’m trying to be more like Jesus and Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop because you have inspired me so much.
Thank you for following in Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop’s footsteps, so that kids all over Australia can have a fantastic education
Love from Charlotte Robinson
MAKING JESUS REAL - (MJR)
At St Joseph’s Woodburn we encourage our students to “Make Jesus Real’” by the way they act in our school community and while at home and out in the community
MJR at St Joseph’s Woodburn encourages our students to be WEST people - that is WELCOMING, ENCOURAGING, SAY SORRY when needed and be THANKFUL.
MOTHERS DAY Breakfast and Liturgy - Thursday 6th May
SACRAMENT OF EUCHARIST Celebrating First Holy Communion will be celebrated in June at a Parish Mass on Saturday 12th June at 5:30 pm. Please keep our students and their families in your prayers. They will be attending four-family preparation sessions prior to the celebration of the sacrament.
SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION (Year 3 and other students) - All Saints Church Woodburn Friday 22nd October 2021
Parents wanting their children to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation are asked to contact Megan Boyd or the school office. Children will need to have received the Sacrament of Baptism prior to the Confirmation date.
Richmond Zone Cross Country
The Richmond Zone Cross Country has been postponed until Friday the 7 May.
Diocesan Rugby Union Trial
Good luck to Jed Duignan and Reily Lohse who are attending the Diocesan Rugby Union Trials in Grafton today.
Richmond Zone Cross Country – Friday 7 May 2021
Lismore Diocesan Cross Country – Wednesday 26 May 2021
|Year 1||Isabella Salmi|
|Year 2||Chase Martin|
|Year 3||Cooper Bailey|
|Year 4||Cherish Cook & Ruby O'Neill|
|Year 5||Brock Lindsay|
|Year 6||Dylan Harrington|
|Monday,3rd May||Marty Walsh|
|Wednesday, 5th May||Almarie Calamba|
|Monday, 10th May||Mel Handford|
|Wednesday, 12th May||Helen Grissell|
If anybody is able to help out in Canteen in Term 2 could you please call Gayl on 66822468.
THANK YOU LADIES!